Friday, April 23, 2010

Chaz Harris on Semi Precious Weapons: Is Rock and Roll Really Dead?



"I've gotta admit that when Kurt Cobain declared “Rock ‘n’ Roll is dead”, I agreed - but what IS Rock ‘n’ Roll? In January, I shocked and confused a lot of people when I told them I was going with friends to see AC/DC. The most common thing people would say is "I never would've picked you for an AC/DC fan". I would always question what that was supposed to mean though - it was as though liking Lady Gaga means I'm not allowed to like AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Meat Loaf or Guns 'N Roses; all of which I do. That concert alone was the first sign that Kurt Cobain was most definitely wrong.

Another band on the rise is Semi Precious Weapons; they were the supporting act for Lady Gaga in Auckland last month. Naturally, I researched them a few weeks before the concert once I knew they were coming, and bought their EP on iTunes. By the time the concert arrived, I was a full-blown Semi Precious Weapons fan (or "Monster Weapon"), when most people in the audience had no idea who they were and appeared confused by my crazed partying to their tunes.

On the surface, they could be any other awesome rock band - there's just one difference: lead singer Justin Tranter parades around stage in fishnet stockings, six-inch golden glitter heels and has some seriously epic smoky eyes. Sure, it's the glam-rock look we've all seen before, but not quite to this extreme. Mix in some unashamed profanity (lyrics such as "I can't pay my rent, but I'm f**king gorgeous!"), and one awesome bass guitarist who can play while resting upside down on his shoulders (Cole Whittle) and you have a dirty, filthy rock 'n' roll band.

A big part of being an awesome support act (or headline act for that matter) are the funny anecdotes between songs, and Semi Precious Weapons certainly had them in spades. One of these was telling the audience that "she, Lady Gaga" used to be their support act in clubs in New York back in 2006. They then took pleasure in telling everyone that "there were 12 f**king people there, so thank you Auckland...for being more than 12 f**king people!" 

-- Source:  Over the Rainbow with Chaz Harris

No comments: