Thursday, April 29, 2010

Melophobe.com Reviews Semi Precious Weapons


The mantra of glam-rock provocateurs Semi Precious Weapons is simple: “We are Semi Precious Weapons from New York Mother-Fucking City, and we hope you ALL GET LAID!” Recognizing that the band has the musical chops to back their scandalous message and gaudy antics, the Village Voice recently voted Semi Precious Weapons as Best Band in NYC, and Lady Gaga chose them to open her latest international tour.

Vocalist Justin Tranter adores the spotlight, but not only because he’s an egotist. Tranter insisted, “I want all the lights on me, so that the audience can fuck each other in the dark.” I didn’t spot any public fornication, though I did see some fans oblige Tranter’s call to “Show me some titties!”
When Semi Precious Weapons throw a party, they call the shots - literally, in my case, when Tranter grabbed my camera, stuck it in his skin-tight spandees and snapped away. I’m not sharing any out-of-focus crotch shots, but you can see his thieverous ways here (shot #4).

Most NYC scenesters are so wrapped up in their own hipsterness that they forget that rock ‘n’ roll, at its core, is a cathartic celebration of our carnal instincts. Semi Precious Weapons are filthy, glamorous, sexually provocative, dangerous and fun as hell: pure rock ‘n’ roll.

No comments: