Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Weapons Review of #YouLoveYou


Check out this In Depth Review of You Love You by Semi Precious Weapons:

"Unless you have been living under a rock, i’m sure you must of at least heard of this crazy, glamourous, dirty musical phenomenom known as Semi Precious Weapons. The band, hailing from New York City and led by eccentric frontman, Justin Tranter have been supporting the incredible Lady GaGa on her hugely successful ‘Monster Ball’ all over the world and I myself have had the pleasure of seeing them on that tour twice - both times in Manchester’s MEN Arena.

Now has come the time for the loveable band to unleash their debut album to the world and this week it is released in the UK. So what exactly can you expect from this 9 track effort? Here is my track-by-track review:-

1) Semi Precious Weapons
“I can’t pay my rent but i’m fuckin’ gorgeous” serves as the opening line of this album and indeed, this introduction sets the tone for the entire LP. Tranter’s sexual vocals along with a beat that makes you want to fuck the nearest speaker will have you listening to this, their first single release, all over the summer. An epic track which gets the album off to a cracking start. 10/10

2) Put A Diamond In It
The second track has a chorus just as catchy as the first and includes a guitar solo in the middle segment that sounds like a musical drug. “Who wants my baby?”  Tranter asks us. I think after hearing this track, everyone will want his baby!! Pure genius. 10/10

3) Magnetic Baby
The album continues along its glam-rock road with another track that i’m sure the likes of David Bowie would be proud of. The self-indulgent lyrics in this track is sure to leave a smile on your face and will probably leave you feeling better about yourself. This is a song that really does uplift me. 9/10

4) Statues of Ourselves
Track 4 sees the album slow down a little, whilst still keeping the energy alive. This track is deliciously dirty (‘While I finger your ribcage”) but also gives a sense of vulnerablity (“We don’t know if this will live”). Whilst its a hard one to explain, this is easily my second favourite song on the album and is quickly making its way up to the top of my iTunes Most Played - i’m sure it will be doing the same on yours. 10/10

5) Sticky With Champagne
Pace picks up again for another filthy-glam infused track that is perfect with the volume turned up at a drunken house party - trust me, i’ve tried it! This was the one track that I wasn’t instantly loving when I first heard it, but it sure has grown on me and seems a favourite with other UK fans. Check it out. 9/10

6) I Could Die
There is something about this song, and i’m still not sure what it is, that just makes me get up, rock out & sing along. I absolutely love it. Its easily my third favourite song. Everything about this track just works - lyrics, vocals, drums, guitar, beat - it’s all pure perfection. LOVE IT! Oh, and Justin’s scream at the end just makes it even better 10/10

7) Leave Your Pretty To Me
Now, here comes the gem. The hightlight of this album. This is where my professionalism goes out the window! My favourite song on the album and I can HONESTLY say that this is one of the most beautiful tracks that I have EVER heard by ANYONE. There are no words to describe this song - you really have to hear it for yourself. “The only thing that ever came easy to her was me…so girl go ahead and drink, I can only be so many things” is the chorus and it is sung beautifully by Justin. You can really feel all the emotion in this track that builds to a epic finale. LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I urge everyone to take a listen to this to see the bands full potential and if anyone fails to be moved by this, you have no soul. Semi Precious Weapons - PLEASE release this as a single! 1,000,000/10

8) Rock N Roll Never Looked So Beautiful
Another really good track, but to be honest, by the time you get to this track, you’re still blown away by the previous one! Having said that, if you can calm down and focus on this one, you have one of the highlights of the album. The pace and velocity of this track keeps changing but it suits it well - this really is a mashup for the ears which I don’t think you can fail to love! 9.5/10

9) Look At Me
The album closes with this stripped back, emotional track which again, shows off Justin’s true vocal talents. This is the band at the rawest and leaves Tranter almost acoustic, his voice laid bare for all to hear its beauty. This serves, to me, as the calm after the storm and leaves you feeling satisfied at the end of the LP. 10/10

OVERALL VERDICT:
In ‘You Love You’, Semi Precious Weapons produce an album that ticks all the right boxes and really doesn’t go wrong. It is a solid effort that i’m sure will leave the music world in awe and wanting more. I think we can safely say that this is a band that have many bright years ahead of them & I can’t wait to see them on their own headlining tour as soon as they do one! Overall rating - 9.5/10"

Photo via: Eric Broz

No comments: